When it comes to installing items into your custom home, many different factors play many different roles. We picked out some of the more irregular items that people choose to install in a custom home and have provided information on what to consider when installing these items, the pros and cons, and how it can be done.
Installing mounted bookshelves:
Adding a catching focal point in smaller areas can be a challenge, but there are ways to maximize space in your home. One of them is adding mounted bookshelves. There are several major benefits of mounted bookshelves. Here are five you need to know:
- Makes use of irregularly shaped areas: You know those spaces where no furniture can’t seem to fit in? Mounted bookshelves can fill them up nicely.
- Makes use of vertical space: Freestanding bookshelves are wide, but not high enough. You can make mounted bookshelves as high as you want so that no vertical space gets wasted.
- Blends in with the background: With no thick borders, mounted bookshelves don’t look bulky. They can even blend in with the walls when painted the same color.
- Takes up less space: Mounted bookshelves accommodate more books than those that are freestanding, but they use less space. It sounds like a paradox, but it’s true.
- Uses fewer materials: Sustainability should be a consideration in interior design and custom home building. Mounted bookshelves don’t use up as much resources as their freestanding counterparts, making them the greener choice in your custom home.
Installing attic windows:
When it comes to investing in custom home renovations, many homeowners tend to ignore the attic. However, you should put some serious thought into renovating this little-used storage space in your custom home. In fact, you may even want to install some attic windows.
Image Source: House Beautiful
The following are a few benefits of attic windows in your custom home:
- Improve ventilation: Attics are often stuffy due to the lack of ventilation. A few attic windows will go a long way in helping to improve the air flow, reducing extreme heat, and ridding the area of odors and stuffiness.
- Improve design: Adding windows to the attic will help both the design of the attic as well as the custom home’s exterior, adding to the curb appeal. This is especially true if you use dormers, awnings or casements for the windows.
Installing a swim-up bar:
Instead of going through the hassle of booking a flight to Miami to enjoy amenities of a five-star resort, consider adding your own custom swim-up bar.
You can get the same level of luxury without leaving Kansas after you install a swim-up bar right beside your private custom pool!
Aside from adding a resort feel to your custom home, a swim-up bar also makes snacks easily accessible and saves up plenty of space. It’s both a functional and stylish addition — and the perfect renovation project for this season.
When designing a swim-up bar, consider the height of both the counter and the seat in relation to the depth of the pool. Ideally, the counter should be high enough to provide adequate knee room while the seats low enough to allow partial submersion in the water. This way, you can enjoy a drink and a chat with your family or friends without ever having to leave the pool.
For a great swim-up bar design and installation, reach out to us at Forner – La Voy Builders. We value integrity, craftsmanship and quality, so you can be sure that we deliver only the best results to your custom home.
Installing bathroom skylights:
Modern bathrooms should be open, airy, and comfortable. Lighting and material selections will go a long way towards opening up your custom home bathroom. Some few things compare to the benefits the right skylight can offer.
Looking at bathroom skylight designs, the objective is to create a seamless transition from the skylight to the existing architecture. If done correctly, the skylight allows natural light to flood the room, therefore, highlighting everything from the shower and the bathtub to the bidet and the dressing table.
A skylight can also be used to draw attention to the outside natural vistas and scenery that might be present. Being able to view trees, mountains, or clouds floating gently by overhead gives the bathroom an open feel that’s genuinely limitless. Whether you are rushing to head to work or relaxing in the jet tub at the end of the day, adding a skylight is a decision you’ll always appreciate.
We will always be happy to assist the design needs, plans, and installation process for your custom bathroom skylight design. Contact us today at Forner – La Voy Builders, Inc. — we’ll answer your questions and help make your design dreams a reality.
Installing a skylight to your living room:
In need of a new look for your custom home’s interior Design? Natural light brightens up any space and gives your custom home a more comforting look and feel. If you’re looking for a way to give your Kansas custom home that warm appeal, adding a skylight to your living room may be the answer you’re looking for.
Here are five ways to incorporate skylights:
- White living room + clear skylights: Illuminate an already white room with natural sunlight to get an austere but sexy effect.
- Elegant living room + classic skylights: Place two symmetrical and parallel skylights to enhance the sophistication of your custom home.
- Contemporary living room + bordered skylights: Combine skylights with dark borders in a modern design for something more chic.
- Earthy living room + multiple skylights: Usher in more sunlight through several skylights to emphasize the nature-inspired theme of your home.
- Colorful living room + high skylights: Enhance the vibrant colors of your paintings, pillows, and other accents by allowing sunlight to enter from the high ceiling.
Can’t wait to add skylights to your living room? We at Forner-La Voy Builders can do the job for you — and do it well. Call (913) 385-3817 to ask about our services.
Installing garage lights:
Your garage is more than just a place to store the car against the vagaries of nature. These days homeowners use their garages (often holding up to four cars) for extra storage, work spaces, and places for hobbies. For these reasons, garages are no longer poorly lit spaces.
Professional garage lighting installation is essential for the modern garage. Homeowners have embraced the garage and its ancillary spaces. They have installed proper lighting for whatever their particular need.
Work and hobby spaces require bright and direct illumination to do the task properly. In other spaces, any number of sophisticated lights can be used to create an inviting atmosphere. With the right lighting, a garage will start to look more modern after finding the style and light fixtures that fit your unique space. The possibilities of garage lighting are almost endless.
As you can see, some serious thought should be put into your new garage lighting installation.
There are many different tangibles when it comes to installing items, whether that be mounted bookshelves, swim-up bars, or bathroom skylights. Here at Forner-Lavoy, we pride ourselves on doing everything that we can to help clients through the whole process of building, remodeling, and revitalizing a home. Feel free to contact us for any possible questions regarding building your custom home today!